Tuesday 1 July 2008

Patchwork & Party Preparations!

That's what's been keeping me busy the last few days! I've been slaving over a hot rotary cutter and cutting mat to prepare my squares to make my long-planned shaggy quilt, which has been rekindled thanks to seeing Peg's lovely version. I now have all of my squares (and probably a few extras!!) cut out, and all of the backing squares but had to make a trip to the patchwork shop before I could cut the wadding squares. That was one of yesterday's numerous errands and I'm now ready to go - tomorrow perhaps! Tee! Hee! Hee!



Here are my nice neat square piles!! Doesn't it look like I've been industrious?! Thank you for all your kind comments on my flannel fabrics for this quilt - it's always nice to have extra opinions and feedback for a new project! And I also had an SOS from Jo Jo at Home Sweet Home - she BEGGED me for a copy of the wonderful instructions Peg sent me for putting a shaggy quilt together!! Now, I hate to see a grown woman beg - it's just not natural! Tee! Hee! Hee! So I quickly emailed a copy to her! WOW! I wonder if Peg realised how many of us she was going to inspire to make a shaggy quilt when she posted photos of her quilt?! How cool is that!

Jo Jo, however, has been a bit smarter in her approach to making a shaggy quilt than I have. In my usual fashion, when I bought the fabric two years ago, I started cutting 7" squares without looking into the why's, how's and wherefore's of making a shaggy and consequently, have 'wasted' a lot of my fabric. Now, the 'leftovers' will undoubtedly be used for another quilt - to be made at a much later date!! - but with some fabrics, it would've been nice to have more of them. Oh well, we'll see how we go! Jo, on the other hand is going to use a pack of charm squares!! DOH!!! Why didn't I find that shortcut!! She doesn't have to cut any squares, they've all been done for her! It will be fun to see how her quilt turns out - isn't it fun sharing on blogs!!

Now, the other thing that has kept me busy recently are the preparations for a friend's birthday party. It will be held in our lounge room and although there will be only three of us there (our belly dancing Trio - me, Lynda and Deb), I'm hoping it will be very special. The invitations have gone out ...


This is the front of the card my beloved and clever Geek Boy made for me with some fantastic pics I found. I just loooooooove old sepia postcards! And doesn't she look glamorous, that old style Hollywood glamorous! Then on the inside ...


More fab vintage postcards!! I don't know if you can read it from the photo, but inside is a little poem.

"Come spend a day in our harem, let your cares slip away.
Do nothing but enjoy ease and leisure, eat, drink and chat all day.
There'll be exotic treats for your pleasure, and friends with whom to share,
So come dressed in harem jewels and finery, then relax without a care.
We'll meet at the Meares' oasis at 10:30 next Saturday morn,
To celebrate sisterhood, friendship and the day our Queen Deb was born."

Lynda and I have been cooking up lots of surprises for Deb's special day - though Carin has already guessed part of it, you clever craft detective, you!! But I can't say too much or it will spoil the surprise, but I promise to take photos and update you after the party. In the meantime, I'm off to brew birthday magic and dust off my harem finery! Til next time, Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

gotta love those shaggy quilts...I am going to make another one, but not until I finish all my 5 challenge projects...but better snap up some pretty flannels before they all go away for the summer...!

Carin said...

I LOVE your invitations they are perfect!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Debs party sounds like a real hoot. I'd love to be peeking through the windows at you three mischief makers all decked out in your harem finery....LOL... make sure you take lots of photos Kris.
Hugs,
Kerryanne

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Gee Kris thankyou...all those nice words again...glad I have inspired you both..sound like Deb's party is going to be "fun"!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...