Sunday 12 August 2012

I DID It!!


Here we are, it's Saturday again ... well ... it's now clicked over to Sunday if you want to get technical ... but you know what I mean! :0) Horrible, freezing westerly winds whipping around the top of our 'hill' today, so it was a good day to hunker down in the ol' sewing room and I did something I haven't done in a long time ...

... I dragged my overlocker out of the cupboard and dusted her off ... literally!! How do things get dusty INSIDE the cupboard?!?!?! Add some pretty fabrics ...

 ... I know ... PURPLE!! ... not my usual colour pick, but I fell in love with these yummy batik fabrics and decided they were perfect to do something quite different and out of my comfort zone ... make myself a skirt!!! Now, all of my past Home Economics teachers and my mother will attest to the fact that dressmaking is NOT one of my great skills ... mainly cos I can't read a dressmaking pattern to save myself!! I think I gave those poor Home Ec teachers grey hairs! Tee! Hee! Hee! In fact, when it comes to dressmaking, I usually send fabric and pattern/photo home to my Mum to take care of! :0) However ... I saw a gorgeous skirt being worn by one of the ladies attending the "Girls' Stitch In" in March and with a few pointers from the super helpful Marion at Quilters Angel, I decided to give it a shot.

... I cut some 8" squares and got overlocking. Everything was going swimmingly until there was a 'PLINK' and one of the threads snapped! AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!! (A join-knot in the thread got caught up and broke the thread ... I HATE when that happens!!) One of the reasons I rarely use the overlocker is very simple ... I'm HOPELESS at re-threading the rotten thing!!!!!! You'll laugh at me ... but I usually wait until my Mum is visiting and get HER to rethread it cos she uses hers more often and can re-thread in her sleep. :0) However, with no Mum-visit on the cards and an event approaching that I want to wear my pretty purple skirt to, I decided to be brave and try the re-threading thing. It took a while, involved quite a lot of muttering, a moderate amount of swearing and holding my tongue at just the right angle ... but finally ... SUCCESS!! I DID IT!!  I didn't have to wait for Mum after all! :0) And I was off again. At the end of the afternoon ...

... I had all my strips of squares joined ready for the gathering step ... that will be tomorrow's challenge. :0) In the meantime, I think it might be time to keep a date with my pillow. I hope you're all having a great start to your weekend and that you get to spend some time doing some fun stuff! :0) Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS



7 comments:

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

I think you did good :-) And the project looks great too, looking forward to see the next step :-)
Have a great weekend,
Laila

Chookyblue...... said...

must drag mine out as I want to do some sewing for Fairy Girl for summer........

Fiona said...

Khris that looks awesome...
Hugz

Astrid said...

So far it looks great and I can't wait to see it finished! I'm not a big fan of purples either, but the fabrics you have chosen do look good! Stay warm! Cold wind here too - brrr! :)

Mistea said...

Love the colour choices. So glad you got that threaded so you can finish the pretty skirt.
Enjoy

ittybittyandpretty said...

great colours and i cant wait to see the finish product ~_~
xxrosey

Saskia said...

So far, so good!
Love the fabrics, I'm turning to the color purple too.
In my home, my quiltfabrics, tcross stitch threads.
Can't wait to see the next step of you making a skirt.
Maybe I can give it a try too, not a great skirtmaker myself...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...