Wednesday 23 July 2014

Doing My Block ... S !!!

Nah ... I'm not REALLY 'doing my block ... it just seemed like a catchy way to introduce what I've been up to! :0) Hmmm ... in a complete sidetrack ... it occurs to me that "doing your block" is a very Aussie term ... right up there with "chuckin' a tantie", or "chuckin' a wobbly". Translation: getting rather cross, perhaps involving the ranting and raving of the block doer and/or foot stamping. :0) Does that clarify our Aussie peculiarities? :0)

So ... this post involves no ranting, raving or stamping. It DOES involve blocks. Are you confused yet? So am I frequently ... especially when it comes to patchwork blocks and quilting ... but whilst cruising around Pinterest (... and around ... and around ... and around ... oops! There goes an hour or two! Tee! Hee! Hee!) I came across a photo of a quilt block that seemed simple enough for me to tackle. It involved 5" charm squares ... hmmm ... I had a small stash of those in my sewing cupboard. It needed a low-volume contrast fabric ... hmmm ... I had several metres of white homespun that I'd been given. Two checks on the list. Add to that the fact that I was suffering severe sewing withdrawal symptoms after a month of keeping the sewing room neat for open house sessions ... do you see a big light bulb going on?! :0)

I pinned that block pic (so I knew where to find that sucker again ... the beauty of Pinterest!) and followed it back to a nice simple run-down of how to achieve said block ... HERE.

Then it was full steam ahead into the sewing room ... YAY!! It was like embracing an old friend after a long separation. :0) In a short amount of time I was ready to start ...

... a pile of white squares and a pile of pre-cut charm squares. Step two ... play matchmaker with these two piles ...

... a bit of chain piecing on my trusty Husky ... aaaah!! Back in the saddle! :0)

... some seam-pressing. I seem to remember being told that seams should be pressed to one side, not open, but I could just see myself getting into all sorts of messes when it came to further slices and seams, so I pressed them open. Next step ...

... join the pairs ... now comes the fun part ...

... with ruler and rotary cutter, cut through the block an inch from both sides of each axis. Then we play "spin the bottle" ... patchworkingly speaking! This is a "PG" rated bog, after all!! :0)

... rotate all the smaller pieces 180 degrees and stitch 'em back together ...

Ta Da! A finished block! I love that it LOOKS like I've been incredibly patient, cutting and joining small pieces, when really it all started with four simple squares. Cool, huh?! I know ... small things amuse small minds. :0) But I sure have been having some fun with these addictive little blocks ...

Here's my tally so far. I really love the pretty blues, reds and yellows against the fresh white. I'm not sure how this quilt will turn out ... I'm toying with a few ideas to finish it off. But first, there'll be more block-doing to be done ... if you see what I mean! :0)

So ... what's been happening in YOUR sewing room? Have you made something that you've found inspiration for on Pinterest? I'd love to hear about it! :0) But right now ... I bet you can guess what I'm going to say next ... yep! I'm off to play Polly and put the kettle on for a before-bed cup of tea. Hope the tail end of your week wags with happiness! :0) Til next time ...

BLOCKY BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS

P.S. Thank you to all you lovelies who've left congratulations and compliments on our house selling/buying. It's been fun to share our new adventure with you all and I promise to keep you all updated. :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS xx








8 comments:

FloS said...

It looks wonderful ! What a great idea !
Florence

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back in the sewing room! Loving those blocks! xx

Fiona said...

I am thinking about doing those blocks too!!! we must be twins??? yours are lovely and colourful...
Hugz

Christine said...

That is lovely and something already on my list of things to try as well.

Susan In Texas said...

OOOh that's lovely! I did a disappearing nine patch once in a similar fashion. You get a very complex looking block out of several simple cuts. Nice!

Hey! I actually finished something this month, can you believe it?!! I'll have to blog about it. I only have to sew on three buttons and it's done. Yippee!

Take care,
Susan in Texas

Mistea said...

These blocks are beautiful. Love the simplicity of the construction.
Enjoy playing with your pretty colours.

Judy S. said...

Very fun! Thanks for the great directions. I am going to try this.

OSr Group said...

These blocks are beautiful. Love the simplicity of the construction.
Flush door Manufacturer in India, Veneer Manufacturer in India


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...