Sunday 11 October 2015

A Reno Reveal!!

HELLOOOOOOO!! I'm finally back here to let you know what we've been up to at the Meares' Madhouse, home of Tag Along Teddies. I had intended to be back earlier ... but there were some computer issues to deal with ... SIGH! Let's just say "Microsoft", "Windows", "Automatic Update", "Non-compatible Forced Updates" ... GRRRRRRRR!!! It was a bit of an epic battle for my Beloved Geek Boy to sort out the issues that the unasked-for update caused, but he finally emerged victorious. No damsel in distress appreciated being rescued from a dragon more, I can tell you! :0) So it's catch up time ... brace yourself Chooky ... there's a few photos to follow, so grab a cuppa and a comfy chair! :0)

Right ... when last I popped in, I showed you this pic ...

... and asked what you thought we were up to on our long weekend. Most of you guessed correctly that we were doing a spot of painting in our main bedroom ... although one lovely bloggy buddy was sidetracked by the cradle in the background there ... strictly for bears, I assure you! :0)

Now those of you who pop in regularly to visit me know that I am a COLOUR FREAK and that I have struggled a wee bit with the very NEUTRAL colour scheme of our dream house. Since moving in last August, I've discovered that although I love to drool over photos of lovely neutrally decorated houses and white-on-white rooms ... I can't live without my colour! :0)

 The nice thing about this house is that there is no prep needed before painting except a quick dust down and furniture rearrange, which makes it a lot easier and quicker than starting from scratch. So ... are you ready to see what our bedroom looks like? It started off looking like this ...

This was the real estate pic when we bought the place. After our GB's painting efforts last weekend (he said it was to crowded for both of us to work in there, but I suspect he didn't trust my painting techniques!! Tee! Hee! Hee!) this is what it looks like ...

Bit of a difference, right?! :0) The walls are now a lovely deep teal blue/green. It's very close to the colour of our main bedroom in our previous house and always makes me think of deep, peaceful oceans ... I am a Picean, you know and fishies need their water around them! :0) Combined with white furniture and bed linens, I just find it so relaxing and cozy, I know some people would find it too dark, but I LOOOOOOOOVE my mermaid grotto! :0)

Here's the other end of the bed ... sorry the pic is a bit dark. There's that cradle of bears. :0) And you can see there's a bit of a French splash in there too.

And the GORGEOUS full-cloth quilt I commissioned the Fabulous Fiona to quilt for me when we first moved in ties in beautifully. So ... that's our re-vamped boudoir. Now I just have to manage to spend some time in there. :0)

Now ... this is actually the second room to get a colour infusion ... I just haven't had a chance to show pics before this. We've also made over the guest room. Bit of a funny story ... when Mum and Dad were living with us earlier this year, the guest room was their domain. I showed Mum a colour card of the colour I'd chosen to paint the guest room and her comment was ... "Oh! I hope you're not going to do that while we're in the room. It would be so much trouble!" So ... when they went off for a week of house sitting ... we painted the room! Tee! Hee! Hee! The very FUNNIEST part ... neither Mum or Dad noticed we'd painted the room until we told them! :0)

So here's what it looked like when we bought the house ...

Don't you love the real estate agent's tool of the wide-angled lens on the camera! :0) OK ... this is the made over room ...

Ta da! It's now a pretty Tiffany blue. I forgot to upload pics of the room with our furniture in it before we painted ... it shows a huge contrast. The quilt (one of my faves made from a Paris Flea Market layer cake) really pops against the blue, as does the restored white brass bed and the vintage half-tester valance.

In the corner of the room looking back at the entry door from the hallway.

It's now soothing and warm and welcoming for guests ... and Mum approved once I pointed out the new colour! Tee! Hee! Hee! I think I do need to make a pretty cushion or two for this bed ... in my spare time. :0)

So ... there you go. We're slowly putting our own mark on our dream home, adding colour and character ... and bears and quilts! Tee! Hee! Hee! I'll share more with you as we go ... promise. :0)

In other news ... Sweet Peg and I have done our blog-hopping and Sweet Peg has done the prize draw for the OPAM prizes for September ... if you haven't already visited her, pop across and see if you were one of the lucky winners. Well done to all of you again this month for your creative work ... there were nearly 250 finishes for September ... WOO! HOO! Which means there was probably even MORE behind the scenes stitching and creating going on working on long-term projects ... like I was chugging on with. Whether you added finishes to your list, or made some progress on some WISPs ... if you took some time out to create, to recharge your batteries and let your imagination roam ... then you did good! :0)

Right now ... I'm off to spend some quality time snuggled in my mermaid grotto bedroom, so I shall sign off. Hope you all have a fantastic week ... don't forget to give yourself permission to take time out regularly to catch your breath and create. :0) Til next time ...

MERMAID-Y BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS









8 comments:

Susan said...

Both rooms look great - a dark colour inn a bedroom is never out of place...nice for sleeping in..
I'm not going near Windows 10 - was that the problem??

Maria said...

Pleased Geek Boy could fix your computer problem.
Ah now that looks more like your bedroom.... Just perfect for a mermaid...
Loving the guest room too.
Have a wonderful week....

sunny said...

I love your new rooms! So much cozier. I'm all about cozy, and your colors, furniture, quilts and bears just shout "cozy".

Narelle said...

Gorgeous colours 'popping' up at your place ... I'm still in the planning stage ... been there for a long time ;)

Fiona said...

the rooms are looking lovely
Hugz

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your new paint jobs are gorgeous...love the cradle of teds! How funny that your parents didn't notice your hard work lol! Enjoy your lovely new spaces x

Marilyn said...

Ahhh. So so much more homely now Kris. I love colour on the walls too so can understand your need to get the paint charts out and the brushes into action. The rooms look beautiful. I love your "teal ocean" bedroom.

Christine said...

Much more you now. Imagine, a husband who fixes your computer AND paints!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...