Wednesday 23 January 2019

Treasures Have Stories!

Hello all you lovely creatures out there in blogland! I hope you're having a fantastic week. I'm pretty sure someone stole a few days from my last week ... Which isn't a great start to the year. By the time Christmas rolls around again I'll be missing a few months! :0)

Last post, I promised to tell you the story behind my newest treasures ...


These lovely trio sets. Don't you love all the pretty flowers? Well ... Each year when the Marvellous Marion & Stupendous Steph of the Quilters Angel  host Stitchers Dream Day Out, a lovely lady called Jean is driven up our 'hill' from Brisbane by her husband to attend. She's a real sweetie & the sister of one of the ladies who is a resident of the retirement village I work at as my 'grown up' job. Last year was the first time in many years that Jean couldn't come to Stitchers Day ... Because her husband & driver was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND) last year & has had to give up driving. So I missed catching up with Jean last year ... Or so I thought! On my last work day before Christmas, I got a call from Jean's sister Joyce to say that Jean & her husband were visiting thanks to their daughter driving them up & wondering if I'd like to see her. An hour later I finally hugged her goodbye after a lovely catch up. :0)

So what does that have to do with teacups, I hear you ask? Well ... During our chat, I mentioned that my Bestest-Buddy-Since-We-Were-Nine Lynette & I collect pretty vintage treasures & Jean said she was in the process of downsizing ... Would I like a few pretty pieces if she couldn't keep all of her china collection? Do fish swim? Is the Pope Catholic? Does my Dad love pavlova??! You bet your bippy, baby!! Tee! Hee! Hee! Fast forward a few weeks & Joyce rang me in my work office to say Jean had sent a few things for me ...  16 trio sets & a selection of pretty mis-matched treasures! WOW! Talk about Christmas all over again!


And every time I look at these pretty treasures, I'll remember the sweet lady who allowed me to adopt them. :0) I think that's a big part of the appeal, for me, of collecting vintage treasures ... They come with a story. Sometimes they're not perfect, sometimes they might be a bit worn, sometimes they're a bit damaged & show the years they've seen, but they remain uniquely beautiful ... to those willing to see beyond the imperfections! And wouldn't the world be a much nicer place if we remembered to apply that same principle to the people we meet?! :0)

So that's the story of my new teatime treasures. Of course ... Now I have to find somewhere to display them ... I think Lynette & I need another play date to find some vintage storage for my vintage treasures! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Oh ... A big thank you to everyone who emailed & commented after my last post to wish me a quick recovery from my nagging headache. I felt very loved! :0) Sorry I didn't reply to everyone. It turned out I'd been sideswiped by a tummy bug & spent four days feeling like I had a head full of concrete & a tummy that was on the high seas, as well as having zero energy ... One of the reasons it's taken me a while to pop into the blog again. All recovered now, though ... With a new appreciation of how my Beloved Geek Boy feels when we travel by boat. :0)

Righto ... I'm off to play Polly & put the kettle on for a cup of tea. There are some who can't understand how a cup of hot tea can be enjoyed in mid-30's temperatures we've had consistently for the last three weeks but I say ...

It's ALWAYS a good time for a cup of tea! :0)

Til next time ... When I'll have an OPAM launch announcement ... 

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS,
KRIS 

8 comments:

Jeanette said...

Such a lovely story about how you got your beautiful trios. Jean sounds like a lovely lady. Yes i prefer china & other vintage/antique items that have stories behind them too. Glad you are feeling better. Hugs, xx

Sharm said...

Oh I love your treasures and the story behind them! I have lots of "old treasures" living with us too ( perhaps not quite enough room for them all lol)! Let's hope you don't have a repeat of that tummy bug again either! I'm sew excited it be seeing what the 2019 OPAM button will look like - when I went back to my OPAM page & my side bar I was reminded I started back in 2012! I missed the 2013 sign ups & did my own that year but at the end of each of those first years I deleted my lists of projects to make way for the following year .......until it occurred to me to have a separate page lol!!! Hope your week is going well Kris 😘

Sheryl said...

Hi Kris, how spoilt are you? being given such a gorgeous collection of tea cups, saucers and plates, they are beautiful.... I have a collection of my own which I treasure and love. Pleased to hear you are feeling better and yes you probably should go shopping for a special cupboard with Lynette...

Janice said...

What a lovely story behind the pretty trios. It makes them all the more special and I'm sure Jean will be pleased that they will actually be used. My mum was a dressmaking teacher in the 50s and early 60s and she was often given a trio as an end of year gift from her students, so has a nice little collection, which have come to live at my house now that she is in aged care. I'm gradually removing some of my treasures from my big jeweller's cabinet to make way to display her treasures (which actually mean more than what they are replacing).

sunny said...

What an awesome treasure you've been given. It sounds like you'll love and appreciate every piece. Enjoy using and displaying them.

Susan said...

What a treasure jean is and what a treasure those sets are.

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Beautiful teacups and a wonderful story too.

Glad you are better.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Lovely teacup treasure! And I am sure your friend is pleased they went to a good home :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...