Friday 26 July 2013

Dust & Noisy & Chippy Paint!

It's still all dust and noise here at the Meares' Madhouse as our dining room renovations continue ... you know ... one of those continuing sagas! :0) Our Federation cottage is about 100 years old (give or take a year or two ... hope to research exact details and history one day!) and so over the years, bits have been changed and added. The room that is now our dining room would once have been an enclosed verandah, as it has narrower floorboards with quite large gaps (under the tired vinyl!) and the wall that separates the kitchen and dining room has had outdoor weatherboards ...

Now ... as you can see in the photo, this allows quite a lot of dust to filter down that wall from the ceiling ... past owners did a dodgy job and there's also some leakage when we get heavy rain. GRRR!! My Beloved Geek Boy decided he had a way to fix this ...

... hit the recycled timber place and purchase some pre-loved tongue and groove boards to cover it up. :0) (He is also doing some re-vamping of the dodgy roof to prevent the leaking issues, but I wasn't getting up on the roof to take a photo!!) There's something special about pre-loved and recycled items, don't you think?

Can't you just see the character in this chippy paint? Don't you wish these boards could tell us their stories? And the interesting thing for me was ...

... colours from the past. I was having a closer look at these pre-loved boards and it occurred to me that some of the colours I've chosen to paint our rooms are very close to some of these. The light green on the left is very close to our lounge/hall/kitchen/ and soon to be dining room colour, the dark green that you can just see dribbles of on the second board is very similar to our main bedroom deep teal and the blue on the board on the right is very close to the cornflower blue of my sewing room walls. How about that! I guess my colour choices are in keeping with the age/original era of our house ... accidentally! I guess you'd call that SERENDIPITY!! :0) 

If you spend a bit of time cruising around Pinterest ... as I definitely do more often than I should!! :0) ... you'll see a lot of chippy paint and vintage items. I'm sure their popularity is due to the feeling that they have a story to tell and look like they've already been well-loved, so they are sure to lend a warmth to their new homes. These boards will NOT be staying chippy and mismatched, but it's been fun to discover some of their 'stories' in the colours. I'll share more pics as the reno progresses ... unless I decide I can't live with the noise and dust and move out for a while! :0)

Hope your week has been fantastic and full of wonderful adventures! :0) Til next time ...

DUSTY BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS




2 comments:

Melody said...

It's looking good.

Fiona said...

it's going to be fantastic all done...
Hugz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...