Saturday 5 February 2011

Saturday Swap Meet - Woo! Hoo!!

For the last few years in Toowoomba, February sees a HUGE Swap Meet/Collectibles Fair held at the showgrounds and it's been getting bigger and BIGGER! Last year, I told you how we'd had to walk for over a kilometre ... just to get from the car park to the fair!! This year we ummed and ahhed about whether we'd go. I say "WE" but it's actually a bit like the "Royal WE" cos my Beloved Geek Boy would happily skip it altogether!!! :0) Last year was HOT!! I mean REEEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLYYYY HOT!!! We baked our little selves and vowed we wouldn't do that again. With our last fortnight of temps hovering around the 30-32C mark (hot for Toowoomba when combined with the icky humidity!!) it didn't look like we'd be heading to the showgrounds, but today dawned cloudy and a little cooler. With a bit of arm-twisting, GB said we'd head out for a look. WOO! HOO! Swap Meet and Collectibles - what's not to like about that!!! :0)

We were ecstatic to find that there were fewer exhibitors this year ... that may sound strange, but it meant we could park in the TOP carpark which didn't involve walking kilometres just to get to the gate - WOO! HOO! We found a park, paid our entry fee and walked in to look down on ...

This was down in the main arena - I couldn't get a very clear shot of the pavilions etc ... too many people to dodge! :0) I'll also add that we didn't go down into the arena cos it was mostly vintage machinery and cars ... which would NOT fit in the hatchback of our little Festiva! (Though Linda will vouch that a cast iron table will!! Tee! Hee! Hee!)

I had a lovely time looking at all the pretties, oohing over lovely china, aahhing over vintage linen, but I was a VERY good girl (by MY standards anyway, though I'm sure my Mother wouldn't agree! Tee! Hee! Hee!) and only bought a few little treasures ...


... a pretty cross-stitched tablecloth on gorgeous ecru linen ... looks so fresh and pretty! I love vintage linens, but especially ones with cross stitch designs in these pretty spring colours. I also bought a couple of pieces of green Depression Glass for my small-but-growing collection and a couple of unusual and harder to find pieces of pink Depression Glass for my bestest-buddy-since-we-were-nine Lynette, who has just started her collection, too. Lynette's pieces are a late birthday gift for her ... from November! :0) She and I have an understanding that we don't just buy each other a gift so it arrives on the day ... we will often take our time to find just the right thing for each other. I think she'll agree it was worth the wait! :0) And here's my little collection in its new home ...


And my Shabby Hearts are back from their photo shoot for an upcoming issue of "Handmade". I've missed the splash of colour there. :0)



Lynette found the little sweets dish on the left and the sandwich plate in the centre for me for Christmas. You can see that my new treasures look just right with them. :0) And you can't have a collection without a bear or two to keep an eye on things, right?! Tee! Hee! Hee! Aren't the Geisha Girl flowers pretty? I have so much trouble with my Geisha Girl plants ... they grow huge amounts and just when I think I'll trim them back so people can get up our front steps ... they flower and I don't have the heart to chop them back! :0) So if you come to visit ... bring a machete! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Well, that's what I've been up to this Saturday and I'm about to head back into the sewing room to play and listen to the sound of rain on the roof ... the storm is finally breaking and hopefully it will decrease the nasty humidity. So ... what are YOU up to this Saturday??? Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!
CHEERS!
KRIS

10 comments:

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Sounds like a fun day Kris. What a productive week you have had. Love the sneak peek in the previous post.

I'm not getting much crafting completed today - too hot. And now I resemble a wrinkled up old prune after too long in the pool - LOL.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

simplestitches said...

love your "new" vintage stuff, very nice finds!
Julz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Great finds. Sounds like you had a fantastic Saturday. My day wasn't quite as exciting. I took DS down to our local showground to register for soccer. He's going be to be in the under 6's. It's very exciting. I can now say that I'm a soccer mum.

Susan In Texas said...

Love that depression glass. I wish I had some too. It was very popular in the States, so there's always lots of it to be found in antique malls and flea markets. Sounds like you had fun anyway. I just love the cross-stitched table-cloth; I wonder how old it is. Any idea?

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Sheryl said...

that's a gorgeous tablecloth, love the glassware, I have a couple of pieces of the green glass and I love it, must collect some more, glad it's a bit cooler for you.....

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love, love, love that depression glass Kris.....sounds like the perfect day to me....

Janice said...

What pretty finds Kris. I'm quite jealous of your two footed dishes taht you found. I haven't seen ones like that before. It was the Bathurst Swap today. I'll post about it very shortly.

ittybittyandpretty said...

lovely finds indeed...best buddy will be happy too.
this heat has got to stop...5days and counting, our air con has never been used so much!
xxrosey

Pat from Florida said...

Lovely finds! You collection looks lovely!

Linda said...

I have been wanting to go to this meet for the last couple of years maybe next year. Love the table cloth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...