Tuesday 4 April 2017

Who Ya Gonna Call??!

Ok ... Did all of you children of the 80's answer that question with ...

GHOSTBUSTERS! :0)

My brother & I both loved the original two movies ... Bill Murray still cracks me up when a rainy day sees me curled up with some stitching & a movie marathon. 

So what has this walk down memory lane got to do with sewing, you may be asking. Well ... It all began when I shared a call for help put out by Jan-Maree at Aussie Hero Quilts. I'd heard of this wonderful group of quilters who send quilts to many of our defence force members who are serving overseas. It's a little bit of home when they're a long way from it & a reminder that their service is appreciated.

It seems an increase in requests for quilts & laundry bags combined with a lot of quilts & quilt tops being lost when Jan-Maree's house was gutted by fire last year led to requests outweighing supply of quilts.

I happily shared the call out for help, but I wasn't planning to put my hand up to make a quilt as I have my own deadlines to work towards. But ... As I skimmed through the list of requests, one caught my eye ... A quilt with a theme of "Original Ghostbusters". Growing up I remember my Mum making my brother a doona cover with the Ghostbusters logo on it. I had to do it! :0)

This quilt was not without its challenges ... How do some simple projects seem to throw up challenges?!?! However ... I persevered & it's now FINISHED! :0) Wanna see?? Ok ...


Ta da! I'm really happy with how it's come up. I've done this as a raw edge appliqué ... Which was the biggest challenge as it meant manoeuvring the 70"x42" quilt through my petite Husky ... Which in turn contributed to the problems I had with the easy fix not staying stuck. GRRRRR!  I've bound it in a fun red & white diagonal candy cane stripe fabric.


A big THANK YOU to my GORGEOUS Quilting Fairy Fabulous Fiona for squeezing this into her busy schedule so I could meet my tight deadline. Fiona has once again worked her quilting magic, though it's a bit hard to see as its black on black.

 So now I need to stitch the label on & it will be ready to be posted off. If you're interested in helping Jan-Maree & her merry band to encourage our defence force personnel by making a quilt or a laundry bag pop over to the blog to find out more HERE.

PHEW! So that's what has been keeping me busy ... What have you been working on? And OPAMers ... What have you FINISHED?!? If you haven't yet emailed Sweet Peg or me, you've got a couple more days before I do the draw.

Right ... That's it from me for today. I hope your week is going well so far ... & that it continues to do so. :0) Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS! 
KRIS


 


 

2 comments:

Maria said...

Looks great Kris and I'm sure it will be much appreciated by the service person.....

Chookyblue...... said...

Of course I said that line before I had even seen the post..........looks great well done and great cause...........

I need to catch up on your last 10 posts as I am so far behind and accidently hit mark all read in my whole feedly........YIKES>>>>>>>>>>>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...