Thursday, 29 May 2008

Hair-raising Experience!

I'm very happy to be sitting here typing today, not because I like blogging (though I do!!) but because I had a bit of a 'hair-raising' experience last night and nearly wasn't here to tell the tale!

It all began innocently enough - as these things usually do! - when I washed my hair last night. Now, since my beloved Geek Boy had so KINDLY shared his flu bug with me, I really didn't want to go to bed with wet hair and encourage my sniffles any more than necessary. So, as I've done hundreds of times before, I reached for the hairdryer.


There I was, happily drying away, when my hairdryer gave a stutter, started again, stuttered, then kept going. Now, I didn't think too much of this, as it had happened a few times in the last week, instead, I just made a "Note To Self" to put a new hairdryer on the shopping list this week. Little did I know it was lulling me into a false sense of security, for all of a sudden, there was a loud bang, a flash of light and heat and a puff of smoke as my hairdryer died in spectacular fashion!


And there I was, left somewhat singed and coughing from the cloud of smoke! Now, understandably, I was somewhat startled when this occurred and I screamed, dropped the frying hairdryer and jumped 6 feet backwards, executing a neat side-step to avoid collision with the loo! I then stood warily watching the malicious machine to see if it truly was dead or whether it was going to be like the monster in every horror movie and jump up to grab me when I least expected it!!

That was MY perspective. In the meantime, all GB had heard was a loud 'BANG!', me scream, a loud thump as something hit the floor, followed by silence! I think he set a new land-speed record getting from the lounge room to the bathroom, with horrible images of my lifeless body slumped on the floor driving him on. As it was, I was fine, though I have a small blister on my hand and a bald spot on my wrist where the hairs were singed off, and all GB had to do was dispose of the slain dragon so it would singe no further victims. My hero!! Tee! Hee! Hee!

All in all, I realise I got off very lightly and could very well have ended up with an electric-shock induced afro! Instead, I had the interesting task of 'blow drying' my hair in front of the heater this morning for work! You see, I had just washed my hair and COULDN'T DO A THING WITH IT!!! I hate to be a cliche, but that really was the case - I looked like a cross between a dandelion and a scarecrow! So ... imagine, if you dare, a large gas heater standing about 30" (75cm) tall in the middle of the lounge room and me doubled over in front of it to dry the underside of my hair, scrunching and brushing at vent-height to try to dry and style my hair into some semblance of order! Not sure how successful it really was, but no one asked where was the tornado I'd got tossed around in, so I guess I looked passable!! SIGH!! Some days, being a girl is NOT easy!!

So ... as soon as GB gets home from work, we're off on the weekly grocery shopping excursion and will be making an extra stop by the electrical department to purchase a new hairdryer, which I'm sure will make me look truly glamorous!!! Alright, you can all stop sniggering now and I'll go for the more realistic goal of 'presentable'!! Hope you have an 'electrifying' evening!! Til next time, Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

9 comments:

Linda and Laura Lilly Cottage said...

Washing machine, hairdryer..hmmm me thinks electric appliances are not your friends!!! So glad you are alright and only had a bad hair day as a lasting whingery...that is an injury you are allowed to complain about!! Please take care aroiund the gas heater won't you just incase it is not just electrical appliances!! Kiss noises Linda Lilly Cottage

Chookyblue...... said...

LOL............LOL......well I can do that now I have read the story and know you are safe and sound.......
.......safe hair drying........

Linda said...

HI Kris,
LOL LOL LOL I'm sorry I love the way you tell a good story, I am glad to hear that you are OK. I blew up my vacumm cleaner last week not quite so spectacular but it did make a very loud noise and a large dust cloud.
You had better learn to hide a bit better I just tagged you, pop on over to my blog if you want to play along.
Cheers Linda

julia said...

Oy, you poor girl - so glad, that you weren't hurt seriously!
That story about you drying your hair in front of a gas heater - uh, that sounds scary, too!
I hope at least your toaster, fridge, and tv don't bear you a grudge ;o)

Jo said...

Oh dear, Im glad your okay.Your story might make me finally go and buy a new hairdryer,mine has been spluttering and turning on and off for a few weeks now.

Jo Jo said...

Kris I know you shouldn't laugh at someone elses misfortune but....LOL, LOL, LOL!! The visuals I am having after reading that are truly hilarious! Jo x

debbie said...

Good grief, Kris! Only U could do it! ROFL! Well actually that's not true, we had a nasty surprise when our bathroom circuit overloaded recently. I was in Geek Boy's role that time, and Phil is still in the land of the living. But our battery recharger is no more.
Seriously, tho, no more testing that angel God put in charge of you, OK? I'm not ready for any more friends to die yet!

Helz said...

I'm trying really hard not to laugh here Kris... But as Linda says You Do Tell A Good Story... Just pleased to hear there was a Happy Ending!!!

Stina said...

Oh my...I´m glad you are Ok...cause Iknow what you have been going through...my oh my...oh that smell...and the sound and the fire... well I´m glad I´m still alive too...just a few hair less...but have to admit...couldn´t help...*LOL*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...