Thursday 13 January 2011

A Confession & A Quilt Drive!

I have a confession to make ...

My name is Kris and I am a Fabric-a-holic!!!! :0)
I popped into Quilters Angel ... otherwise known around here as my 'home-away-from-home' ... to catch up with Marion and Steph for the first time since before Christmas ... oh ... and of course there WAS that 30% off sale that started today and runs through til Sunday, too! (Sheepish Grin!!!) So with such a wonderful sale happening, you just KNOW that some fabric followed me home, right?! Wanna see?? OK!

Just a couple of the yummy fabrics from Rosalie Quinlan's "Sweet Broderie" range. Really ... just a couple ... especially if you're talking to my Beloved Geek Boy! Tee! Hee! Hee! I've been eyeing off these sweet fabrics for a while now and Marion's fabulous sale (did I mention you can ring orders in during the sale even if you can't visit?!?!?!) seemed the perfect time to stock up ... there ARE a lot of projects on my "To Do" list, after all. Besides ... Toowoomba's still isolated, so no groceries are getting into town, so we don't need the grocery money this week, right?! :0) I promise to show you what I make with these ... but for now, I think I shall just look at them and stroke them for a while ... told you I had a confession to make! :0)

Now for the Quilt Drive mentioned in the title. While I was chatting to Marion and Steph, Marion said that she knows a lot of local quilters who want to DO something to help those people affected by the floods. So, she is organising the Quilters Angel Quilt Drive.


I'll let Marion explain ... in her own words! :0)
"As you are aware, many in our community (Grantham, Murphy's Creek and Toowoomba) have lost their homes and everything they own. We would like to help by donating quilts made with love as they begin to rebuild their lives. We will open our Work Room to all patchworkers to bring along their machine and thread (and fabric if you wish) to create quilt tops which will then be quilted and given to the flood victims. There are no restrictions on size and quilts can be made for babies, children, teenagers and adults. We will be providing fabric, however if you cannot make it to a sewing session but would still like to help, donations of fabric and sewing supplies would be greatly appreciated. (100% cotton please, no smaller than 4" pieces)"

These wonderful quilting sessions will be held at Quilters Angel from 10am to 2pm each Thursday and Friday in January and from 10am to 2pm each Thursday in February. Now, I know a lot of you, my blogging buddies, are far from local to Toowoomba and a trip from Norway, Sweden or Germany may be just a LITTLE too much to cope with (though if you do, there's a spare bed at my place for you! Tee! Hee! Hee!) but maybe you have some fabric pre-cuts you've fallen out of love with, or kits that you're no longer enamoured of ... maybe even some quilt tops that are finished but you don't want to keep for yourself ... I'm sure if you contact Marion and send them to her, she'll organise to have them quilted and made ready for some very special new homes. You can pop across to Marion's web site HERE to find more details and how to contact her, or if you want to send anything to me, I'll be happy to pass them along to Marion ... it IS my home-away-from-home, after all! Tee! Hee! Hee! I think this is a great idea because although many of us stitchers don't have a lot of money, most of us DO have a rather healthy stash and some have the time to give to make comforting quilts, so this is a lovely way to bless some of the flood victims. I know I'll be planning to pop into Quilters Angel on some of those days to help out.

I've also started to trace off some stitcheries to decorate needlecases etc for the "New Beginnings" kits and will be spending some time this weekend stitching away, but before I started on those, I thought I'd update you on my Gardener's Journal blocks. I've got five blocks stitched and pieced ...


... and am in the midst of stitching my very last stitchery for the remaining blocks ...


Ta Da! See, Chookyblue, I TOLD you I'd show you I'd really been stitching and not just slacking! :0) Lots of stitching has been going on during the holidays, I think I only had the dovecote and basket of flowers finished before Christmas, so I HAVE been busy ... really! :0) My decision to add a few little patches of satin stitch to most blocks is one I'm happy with, as I love the patches of colour that now jump out (especially those apples in the orchard block!!) but boy of boy, to they take some time to stitch! (especially those apples in the orchard block! Tee! Hee! Hee!) I'm not sure if I'll have my quilt finished by the March deadline, but I sure am a LOOOOOOOOONG way in front of where I would have been without joining the Stitch-A-Long! So, thanks to Chookyblue, Peg et al for the 'gentle' shove. :0)

And now ... I'm off to make myself a cup of lavender tea ... no milk, so no coffee for a few days til roads reopen and groceries come into town (I drink tea black, but have a splash of milk in coffee, you see!!) ... and to start stitching some needle cases. Whatever you're up to, I want to leave you with a little challenge ...

List FIVE blessings in your life today

... family only count as one ... even if they ARE a BIG one! Tee! Hee! Hee! I guarantee that this little exercise will boost your mood! :0) Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!
CHEERS!
KRIS

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on Marion! I know she'll think it's nothing huge... but I think it's awesome and wonderful that she's doing something like that. I bet you'll be there sewing as much as you can too.

Jeanette said...

oh Kris i can always guarantee a smile or a laugh from your posting. I envy you being able to visit your home-away-from home. The day we wer there last September we weren't allowed to stay long. In fact on the bus tour we weren't even supposed to stop there but we talked them into it. :) I've been busy stitching a sewing kit all day whilst watching the news. Hugs,

Chookyblue...... said...

top effort by Marion........I I so pleased to see your GJ progress.......your cruising........keep going not long til the end now.........

Mistea said...

Those are some gorgeous fabrics that have followed you home today and after all that stitching on the GJ blocks you sure did need to replenish your supplies.

Hope the food gets through soon - my sister was complaining about the milk situation today too.

Gail said...

Love the fabrics, will look forward to the things you make from them. No milk for your coffee--think of the calories saved, for sweets! Five things I'm grateful for: 1. My Family; 2. The people whose blogs I read (my on-line friends) and who read mine; 3. A snug, warm and comfortable home; 4. A good mind; 5. Work which keeps me occupied (even if I don't get paid for it.); 6. I know you said 5 but with 6 inches of snow on the ground I am extremely blessed by owning a snow thrower!

RG said...

Kris what a wonderful post.
It's so good to count our blessings...thanks for the reminder...
One of mine is beautiful quilty and blogging friends and their never ending compassion!!

Yippee, I knew somebody would be doing something..thanks heaps!!

How did you fare? My sister and her family are new to Toowoomba this year and thankfully they are fine xx

Robyn xx

Judy S. said...

So good to hear you are OK, Kris. We've had snow and rain here with flooding and avalanches predicted but nothing as severe as what you've just experienced. Stay safe and know you are in my thoughts! (Like that fabric that you've collected for your stash....)

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Things may have slowed down in Toowoomba Kris and not being able to do grocery shopping surely means not having to cook either [giggle]. I'm glad you found something to spend the grocery money on; after all, we have to support the local economy during tough times.
Hope you have a wonderful and dry weekend stitching.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Sheryl said...

So pleased to know you & GB are safe and sound, I am trying to help in my little way with some serious stitching on Needlecases and sewing bags too.....
Love your new fabrics and your GJ is looking really good love the satin stitching it really stands out but it's too tedious for me.. I'd never get it done....
Well done Marion, what a generous offer.....

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Kris,
Oh those stitcheries are gorgeous.
Oh bugger about no grocery's, lol
no shopping or cooking necessary!
I hope you have enough supplies to survive for a while.

I've an award for you on my blog if you'd like to play.
Hugs,
Anna

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Kris sweetheart!

I love how that fabric just keeps following you home!! he he :-)

Lovely show and tell sweetie, lots of love to you and yours and hugs coming your way!

Vikki xo :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...