Wednesday 12 January 2011

A Quilt Begins With A Few Stitches!


That sounds rather profound, doesn't it! :0) But nevertheless ... it's true. Most 'big' projects begin with baby-steps. I know most of you have by now heard about the widespread and devastating flooding here in my home state of Queensland. With over 75% of our rather large state under water or affected in some way by flooding, it seems very overwhelming ... nothing we can do, right???
THINK AGAIN!!

One of my favourite Graeme Connors' songs is called "Births, Deaths And Marriages". It tells the story of someone with an elderly female neighbour, who he chats to each day when they both collect their newspapers from the front yard. Some days, when the paper boy makes it too challenging and they only find one paper between them, they've worked out a system to share ... the elderly lady takes one page and the man takes the rest. Can you guess which page she takes? Yep ... "Births, Deaths & Marriages". The man thinks this is a little funny - why take that when all of the IMPORTANT news is in the rest of the paper? One day she explains to him by saying:

"I know this world has it's problems,
Problems that need to be solved,
But from what I see in the headlines each day
It's all out of my control,
But a gift for a baby, a sympathy card,
A prayer for a couple in love.
Is something I can do that might make a difference ...
No matter how small."

So even if we can't do something to fix the BIG problems facing QLD and the families affected ... there are some things we CAN do that  ' ... might make a differenc ... no matter how small.' :0)

Firstly, the gals from Among The Gum Trees are co-ordinating the collection of  some basic sewing supplies to put together some stitchers' kits to be distributed to stitchers in flood-affected areas. They're calling their little campaign  ...



Click on the above button and it will take you directly to the post on the Gum Tree gals' blog where everything is outlined and explained. I'll be raiding my stash and hope to make a few little bits to send off to the gals.

There are also a number of silent auctions happening in blogland at the moment with all proceeds going towards the flood relief fund raising appeal ...



This series of auctions are being co-ordinated by Toni at Make It Perfect. Click on the above button and that will take you to her original post ... there are a couple of other posts after that that will probably add more info for you.

So there you are ... a couple of small ways you CAN help make a difference and lend a hand ... no matter where you are in the world ... to help out families whose lives have had a literal 'dampener' put on them.

Once again, THANK YOU to all of you lovely blogging buddies who have been checking up on me and GB after seeing news footage of our flash flood here in Toowoomba - I have felt very loved and blessed!! There are some truly alarming photos and video clips out there, that show the rushing water, cars being swept away etc., but I think for me, it really started to hit home today when I drove through several of the intersections, that had been flooded, as I followed my usual route to work. I also drove over part of the range where a huge landslip and a number of smaller ones had dumped mud and rocks onto the road, causing one lane to be closed still this morning. Then, when I got to work, my boss explained that he was supposed to be in one of the cafes that were flooded for a business meeting and would have been in the middle of the chaos ... but due to minor flooding problems in our village caused by the torrential rain, he was too busy to head into town. Val from Apple Cottage had passed through that street just minutes before the wall of water hit. One of GB's workmates lost his work van and helped rescue a child from a car being swept away, but had to watch as the child's mother and sibling were washed out of his reach. He then had to hold onto a power pole in the midst of the rushing water until rescuers could help him. It makes it more personal now.

And that's why I'm off to dig through my patterns and my stash to start working on some little items to send to Jenny ... to do MY ' ... something to make a difference ... no matter how small!" Stay safe, hug your loved ones, squeeze the most out of every day, because we just never know what's going to happen five minutes from now!! Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!
CHEERS!
KRIS

10 comments:

Jeanette said...

Hi Kris, glad to see your post & know that you are ok. bug bear hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Gee Kris your post was so touching i had to hold back the tears but you are right a lot of little things will grow into big things so we can make a difference.
Glad to see you and GB are still okay,i will start making little kits straight away.
cheers Sheryl
Http://shez-enjoyinglife.blogspot.com

Linda Lilly or Lilly Linda said...

Gorgeous Girl, you have the right things to say. I will follow your lead and go through my sewing cupboards at least I can feel if I am doing something. I am so so glad you are safe and sound and also sorry that you are so very close to so much tragedy.
Thinking of you and waiting for the tide to rise tomorrow and then we can all start beginning again.
Kiss Noises Linda

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Kris...glad to hear you are all okay...I think the Gum Tree Gals have a fabulous idea...Stay Safe...Hugs, Dzintra♥x

Maria said...

Gee Kris I was so pleased to read your post and know you and your GB are okay.
You are right, we never know what will happen tomorrow.
I also am going to make a little something to help.
Keep safe
Hugz
Maria.

Sheila said...

I too am relieved to know you and your Dh are ok , it sure is a scary situation for your country right now and my thoughts and prayers are with you . I plan on doing a little to help because as you say even a little will go a long way if there are lots of littles ! Take care .
hugs SHeila

RebeccaMom said...

I, too, am relieved to know that you are well. I am heartbroken for those who are not. Thanks for posting the links to ways to help :) I am praying, but it is always good to do more. I've heard it called "putting feet to your prayers" :)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

So pleased you and GB are all safe.....love your post today...Peg xxx

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Very true words Kris. We can all help in little ways.

I think the devestation has stepped up a level this morning with the news coverage showing photos and naming the deceased. Putting names and faces to a death toll makes it more real.

The stories of miraculous escapes and people pitching in to help total strangers just highlights what a wonderful nation of people we are.

Stay safe my friend,
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Dawn said...

well said dear friend....I am touched too by knowing you who knows GB's workmate...and I think all of Aus are the same, they know someone who knows someone who knows someone...the world is so small really and we can all play a small part to HELP...
glad you are safe and well...
many Hugs Dawn x x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...