Sunday 16 January 2011

Sun, Stitching, Cricket - Must Be Summer!

Today actually FEELS like summer! The sun is shining and drying my washing on the line and I'm enjoying some stitching time in front of the one day cricket. Yep ... maybe it's summer after all! :0)

What have I been stitching, I hear you ask? I've been finishing off a couple of little needlekeepers to send off to the Gum Nut Gals for their "New Beginnings" flood appeal. Have you popped over to visit the Gum Nutters to see what "New Beginnings" is all about? You might be able to help out. My little contribution so far ...

Two needlekeepers. When I was deciding on a stitchery to put on these, I tossed up between a few and finally decided that what was more perfect for items going to a flood appeal than  Noah's dove with it's olive branch in beak and a rainbow overhead. Both remind me of God's promise after a somewhat larger flood than we've faced here in Queensland. Whenever I see a rainbow, my thought is, no matter what's happened, there's a promise of better things to come. I've used the cute little dove from Lynette Anderson's Noah's Ark BOM and added the rainbow ... Lynette's BOM was so much fun to stitch and one day I might even finish putting it together! :0) When the needlekeepers are opened up ...


Both are the same, so I've showed the outside of one and the inside of the other! :0) I raided my stash for rainbow colours to match the stitchery and inside, have added pockets to hold threads or new packets of needles, as well as somewhere to poke the ol' needles in to keep them from poking into YOU! :0) I suppose that's why they're called "Needlekeepers"! Tee! Hee! Hee! I'm hoping to make a couple more little bits and bobs to send off with these, too, but it was good to make a start.

Don't forget to pop across to visit Toni at Make It Perfect to see the full list of auctions being held to raise money for the flood appeal too. There are some FABULOUS items up for grabs ... Toni at The Red Boot Quilt Co. is auctioning off a GORGEOUS teddy quilt with accessories; Vikki is auctioning her cool sewing travel kit that is featured in the current issue of "Homespun" as well as a full set of the "Springtime" BOM patterns; and Rosie and Melly are each auctioning a year's worth of patterns/fabric ranges/books ... whatever each of them design and publish this year, a copy will go to the winning bidders of their auctions. How exciting ... not to mention that all money raised in these auctions will go to help flood victims rebuild and recover. There are literally HUNDREDS of items being auctioned to raise funds for the flood relief appeal, so it's worth taking a peek.

I have to say, that as much as it has broken my heart to see my home state going under water (I have seen most of these areas firsthand over the years) and the terrible destruction that has resulted ... ... my heart has swelled to overflowing to see the HUGE outpouring of community spirit, generosity and goodwill as the cleanup and recovery begins. I've just seen some news footage of volunteers lining up for over a kilometre to register to join the clean up and take a provided bus to the area where they can help. I've seen people from all over Australia (some still recovering from their OWN flood damage!) and all over the world not hesitate to put their hand up to donate, to organise events to raise money and to give of their time. It brings tears to my eyes ... though THESE tears are HAPPY tears! My new New Year's wish is that we all carry that generosity and spirit of community with us throughout the whole year, because I think it will be a long, hard road to recovery in the eastern states of Australia.

Right now, though, I'm going to go see if I can help the Aussies break their losing streak in the cricket ... maybe we need to bring back Rod Marsh, David Boon, Dennis Lilly and Thommo! :0) Hope you're making the most of your weekend, too. Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!
CHEERS!
KRIS

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes bring back Dennis , he was my first crush !

Fee said...

I had a soft spot for Kepler Wessels and Imran Khan - LOL Love those needleboooks - Thanks so much Khris.

Hugs - Fee XX

Maria said...

Great needlecases Kris.
You would have been delighted with the cricket result.
I love it when the game is close. Makes for exciting viewing.

Anonymous said...

My exact thought (as yours) with the dove stitchery :) Perfect. Australia won! (Didn't they?? DH was watching it in the background!!)

Joy McD said...

Those needle cases are just gorgeous! They will be a blessing to someone I am sure.
lv,
Joy

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

It's times like these that we see what Australians are really made of and doesn't it make you proud.

Had to laugh at the blast from the past cricket legends... I'm with Fiona, I thought Imran was hot too!!!
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

BubzRugz said...

Hi Khris, popped over after a comment from IttyBitty as I also wrote a bit about the Quilt drive.... glad to meet another Twba blogger/stitcher... glad you are okay ....
Great blog...
At least we won the cricket!!
Hugz

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your needlecases are lovely Kris...Rod Marsh was my hero...loved cricket when those guys played...

Grethe said...

Very sweet needlecases:-) I have sent one(Gail Pan`s pattern) and bits and pieces almost according to the wish-list,taking 10 days it is bound to arrive approx now.
It must be such a sorrow for you people involved.
Glad you and Peg are on the OPAM committee!! My UFOs are piling up, I am counting hours down,might get up in the night to put my name down? :))))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...