Tuesday 30 October 2018

Day Twenty ... The next Bit!

Righto ... I'm back to continue the round up of Day Twenty of our adventures. After emerging from the mine, we jumped back into the Big Blue (actually my knees were jelly after our mine climbing so I crawled into the ute!!) & we headed further down the road to ...


Silverton. Once the busy hub of silver mining in this area, Silverton's population of around 3,000 at its peak has now dropped below 100. This decline occurred after the three main silver mines in the area closed down one by one, & the miners & their families moved to be closer to work opportunities, taking their house with them in many cases. Today the almost ghost town is home to a number of artists & is known as a popular backdrop for filming movies ...the most famous of which is Mad Max 2 ... More about that later.

While most of the town's accommodation moved on with the vacating silver miners or was left to crumble, there are some lovely stone buildings left ...


The Methodist Chapel ...


... The Catholic Church ...


... One of the more colourful buildings, John Dynon, one of the local artists. And the highlight ...


The Mad Max 2 museum. Funnily enough, this is run by an expat Pom. :0) When my brother heard we were visiting Silverton he said we HAD to visit this place. Mad Max is one of the most iconic Aussie movies to come out of the 80's (though the original actually was released in 1979) & I have a confession to make ... I've never seen it! :0) But I enjoyed the museum. So ... Having not seen the movie, these are all just cars, but I'm sure Mad Max fans will enjoy these pics ...


I DO know this is a replica of Max's vehicle. :0)


A buggy ...


... Er ... Another buggy?!

A gyrocopter & ... A white car?! :0P


Somebody having a very bad day. :0) And then being all touristed out for the day, we headed back into town for some refreshment & a walk down memory lane for GB with a visit to Bell's Milk Bar ...


It's a step back in time to the fifties & an old time milk bar like we saw in Happy Days. The list of flavours for milkshakes, spiders & sundaes is amazing & the flavour syrups are made by Bell's. GB remembers having a spider at Bell's after church many Sunday's of his childhood in Broken Hill. Apparently it's changed locations but ...


... They still make a great spider. :0)

And that was our day. I'm now more than ready to go & soak my aching mine-climbing muscles in the claw foot tub before I hit the pillow. I hope you're enjoying traveling with us. :0) Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS















3 comments:

Janice said...

I love the Photo of Geek Boy at Bell's. I think a very similar one was taken of me last year. You visited some fun places.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The list of flavours for spiders was a bit confusing - relieved to see the photo! Looks tasty 😊

Marilyn said...

Silverton is amazing. We visited there many years ago and really enjoyed it.
Bells Milk Bar is so well done - looks amazing. . I want to go there for a spider !!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...